Banana Oat Bars
We whipped up a batch of these dairy free, healthy breakfast substitutes in a recent Kids Cook class. The banana oat bars are easy to prepare and keep well for a quick meal or snack several days in a row. 1) Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup quick cooking or old fashioned oats
2) Whisk together in a smaller bowl or measuring cup:
1/3 cup brown sugar (could probably be reduced to 1/4 cup if you want to try)
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp flax seed meal
2 tbsp warm water
3) Mash one ripe banana into the liquid mix.
4) Stir all together. Optionally, add 1/2 cup dried fruit or chopped nuts.
5) Spread in a oiled 8 x 8 inch pan.
6) Bake for 25 - 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Allow to cool and cut into squares.