Before 2011 Ends...
...chew on these local news bites: 1) If you have yet to complete your charitable giving this year, may I suggest a donation to public radio station WCBE? Green B.E.A.N. Delivery will donate 4 pounds of food to local food banks per pledge through the end of 2011.
2) Speaking of my favorite station, tune in to WCBE on 90.5 for a special one-hour episode of local food program FoodCast featuring interviews with Columbus food pillars like Kenny Kim talking about the latest ethnic mini-restaurant in town, Yakitorium. The show will air at 1 pm on Monday January 2 and be available for web listeners shortly after.
3) And speaking of Yakitorium, I'll be slinging stuff-on-a-skewer with Kenny, Misako, and co. in Cleveland on February 2, exact details to come. I am taking a practice run with the Japanese grill on Saturday January 6 at 6:30 pm, 482 S. Front St 43215. Please visit!
4) The very next day is my first class of 2011, Charcuterie. Discover how salt, fat, and dehydration can transform perishable foods into delicacies from 3:30-5:30 at Franklin Park Conservatory. Register by calling 614.645.5923 or download a registration form here.
5) Did you hear that Snowville Creamery wants to expand? And the next product they want to make is greek-style yogurt? Local, low-processed, high-protein, tangy, versatile yogurt from a sustainable small business is a dream of mine. If you want to make the dream come true, support their Kickstarter project with me through February 10, 2012.
6) Finally, if you care about conservation in Ohio, please take a few minutes to read this story about the Saveson wetland and this follow up. If you feel strongly, respond by writing a letter supporting a tax change to Franklin County Auditor Clarence Mingo. I wrote him and received a very quick and personal, positive response. I also have a letter in to the Dispatch editor.
I hope the last day of 2011 is one of reflection and enjoyment for you and yours, and that 2012 is a great year for all of us!